Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Module 3-Screencasts and Assistive Technology

What is a Screencast?
A screencast is a video of your computer screen with audio of your voice instructing the viewer. The screen should be properly fitted. A screencast can be done through Screencast-O-Matic or a similar application. Options like highlighting your cursor help make the the video very easy to follow. Screencasts allow you to record and stop whenever needed during the process of creating the screencast.

Uses of a Screencast
Screencasts are useful for many things when it comes to technology. It is often that people may find themselves unsure of how to do something and turn to YouTube for help. There are many times people don't know how to do something and a screencast has answered their question. It's a lot easier to figure something out when you actually see it, compared to just hearing it. Another helpful part of screencasts are that you can stop the video to complete the task on your own computer. This way you can do everything at your own pace and not feel rushed. It is nice that you can go back and rewind the video if there was something that went too fast or was misunderstood.

My Experience/Opinion
I use screencasts very often. I often can't figure out something on my computer or how something works, so I ask the internet. They are usually very clear and easy to follow. I think that screencasts are very valuable resources. It helps more people become more technologically savvy. It is also good for students like us to practice teaching others. I found the process of creating a screencast enjoyable and fun to instruct others. It is also great to add tips or commentary to help other teachers. I find screencasts to be a very beneficial tool.

Assistive Technology and Uses
Assistive technology is available for whoever needs it. It is technology that aids those who may not be able to do something or need help completing an action. For example, those who may need help with reading, the tool "Natural Reader" is available for them. They can copy or write a text and it will read it aloud to them. There are many tools for many different people in areas such as vision, hearing, dexterity and mobility, learning, language and communication, speech, and many more. It is truly amazing what technology can do and how it can help people in so many areas of life. These tools are useful to students with developmental, mental, and physical disorders as well. It is really cool how these tools can help them express themselves through ways like music that was mentioned in the article. I think it is truly amazing how far technology has come and all the advancements that are being made.









1 comment:

  1. I'm like you - when I want to know how to do something, I often find a screencast and learn. I also often make short screecasts to help people when they ask me how to do something.

    ReplyDelete