Saturday, February 27, 2016

Module 4- SMARTBoard Lessons and Learning Objectives

The Beauty of the SMARTBoard 
The SMARTBoard is a wonderful example of how far technology has come and how it is impacting education. Through this tool teachers are able to create lessons on the board that are interactive and fun for the students. This is very different from the traditional lecture to the class. The students are getting up to the board and participating versus just sitting in their seat all class. SMARTBoards are fairly easy to figure out. If you are having trouble their are tutorials and screencast to guide you and help you discover the tools.


SMARTBoard Tools
The SMARTBoard notebook offers many useful tools inside of it. These are good resources for students to practice and test concepts that they have learned. For example, you can program a bag to only accept certain answers and reject wrong ones. This helps the students sort things in a fun and different way. Another tool is a balloon. You may write on the below or underneath it. So this may good tool to use if you want the students to guess before seeing the answer by popping the balloon.  These are fun ways to get them excited about learning. Games and fun tools are things that they are interested in. This will make learning a positive process for them instead of boring. 


My Opinion
In my opinion, I think the SMARTBoard is a great technological advancement that should be utilized in the classroom. It is a new way to present, practice, and test concepts that I find refreshing. I think this is also beneficial for students who may have certain learning needs. For example, this may be a great thing for a student with ADHD. They tend to have high activity levels so this will keep them moving and out of their seat. This will make them more engaged and interested in the material. I don't think that the SMARTBoard should be the only teaching method. However, it is definitely a great tool in the classroom that I plan to make use of when I am a teacher if given the opportunity to do so. 

How to Create a good Learning Objective
Creating a lesson plan is an important part of a lesson. The learning objective is key part of the lesson plan. To create a well done objective it must have a few things. It should begin with the conditions (generally start with the word given). For example, given 10 multiple choice questions on safari animals. Next it should have a verb that is measurable. Some good verbs to use include the following: circle, answer, match. It should also include criteria. This specifies how well you would like the students to perform. For example, 80% accuracy. 




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you could see the benefits of SMARTBoard-like activities. I have to, however, point out that your condition in your objective isn't quite what it should be. We would have to know what the questions are asking. For example, Given 10 pictures of safari animals...

    ReplyDelete