Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Module 2-Digital Story

What is A Digital Story

Storytelling is helpful in all aspects of life to help the listener make sense of information. It makes the information told mean something to us and makes us more likely to remember it. A digital story is a creative way to display knowledge versus just reciting the information. Pictures and other media add to the story by making the audience feel engaged. Storytelling has been around for a very long time and is a common way to communicate with people. It is not uncommon for someone to be interested to hear a story from someone. They grasp our attention. Therefore, it makes sense to use this technique to teach students.


Process of Making a Digital Story

To create a digital story, first you must come up with an idea or topic. Then you must learn more about this topic. Next, you write the script of what you are going to say about the topic. Following that you put together what you need for the video like the audio, images, and any other media needed. Finally, put it all together. Making a digital story allows the student to practice technology skills. The process requires you to be creative, think, practice your communication, and other skills. Digital storytelling requires the use of creativity through things such as pictures and music. The teller should use emotion to tell their story and really get the point across. The process is a fun way for students to explore their skills and build on them while being creative.

Use in the classroom

Storytelling is useful in more than just Language Arts. I think that a digital story can serve a purpose in many settings in the classroom. Many things in life are connected to things that we learn in school. This will be good for the students to see that in more than just Language Arts. This will cause them to have a deeper connection with a lesson if it is personal to them. I also think the use of media will grab the attention of students since they are growing up in a time period that is full of media usage. Therefore, I believe this would be a very beneficial tool to implement in the classroom.


My Opinion/Experience

At first I was a little hesitant about the idea of a Digital Story. After reading about them more, I realized the power behind them. It caused me to see that storytelling is a great way to teach someone something because personal connection is powerful. Also, the use of media has the tendency to draw people in. I really enjoyed the process of putting my digital story together. I liked seeing how a personal experience of mine related to a teaching standard. It was a positive experience for me and is a method I hope to incorporate in my future classroom someday.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you had a positive experience in creating your own digital story and that you can see the learning benefit. Of course if students are going to do this, they will obviously need to technology, which is still an issue in some schools.

    ReplyDelete