Monday, January 18, 2016

Module 1-Jigsaw Method


About Jigsaw Method and My Experience
This week we talked about the Jigsaw method. We also performed it in class to complete our assignment. This method involves separating the class in groups that become experts on a section of a topic. New groups are then formed where different topic experts make up a group. The goal is that each student is responsible for teaching their section so that by the end the group has covered all the information. I don't recall working with this method much during my previous schooling. I may have done it a few times. From what I can recall, I thought it was fun but not extremely beneficial. I thought that I didn't really learn about the other groups' information as much because some didn't explain it very well. I do remember enjoying the new method because it was a nice break from the same old ways of learning things.

What I Learned
The readings taught me that it is a pretty effective method. I found it interesting that it said that the Jigsaw method could reduce racial conflict. I had not thought of this before but I can now see how Jigsaw could help diffuse that tension. The kids would be thrown in a diverse group and be working together to accomplish something. Each member is needed so it will create equality. I never thought of the benefits like that that it might reap. I now see many benefits of this method such as that each student feels a sense of importance. It is up to them to contribute and add their missing piece of the puzzle. It gives them a good sense of responsibility.

How to Teach this Method
I learned through the reading that it takes proper preparation to succeed at this method. I found it encouraging when the reading discussed that this method may not go super smoothly the first time I try it, but to not give up just because of that. This made me realize that if I choose to use this method that I will need to experiment with it before I expect great results. This will include deciding how I choose the groups, how long they discuss, and other things that are necessary for this method.

My Opinion
Through our experience with the method in class, I noticed that we got through quite a bit of information quicker compared to the traditional teaching method. It also made me see that the topic needs to fit the method. For our work with the apps, I thought it was great. We were able to each play around with our own app and then use our skills to show to the rest of our group. For other topics, I don't think it would be as great of a fit. I was very skeptical of the effectiveness of this method at the beginning. After learning more about it, I am excited to experiment with it in my future classroom someday. I think it could be a fun, fresh way for kids to get excited about learning.

1 comment:

  1. Grace, I'm glad you came to appreciate how jigsaw could be effective. Nice organization.

    ReplyDelete